Ka’ena Point Firecracker 10 mile
10-Mile Trail Run | Ka’ena Point
Saturday, July 1st 2017 at 7:00 a.m.
Runway Run 5k
5K Road Run | Kaneohe MCBH Freight Line, Hangar 104
Tuesday, July 4th 2017 at 6:30 a.m.
Freedom Run/Walk 2017
5K, 10K Road Run | Kailua High School
Tuesday, July 4th 2017 at 7:00 a.m.
Kailua Beach Run
4+ Mile Beach Run | Kailua Beach
Sunday, July 9th 2017 at 7:00 a.m.
Lanikai 8K (Daniel Levey Memorial Run)
8K Run | Lanikai Bike Path
Sunday, July 16th 2017 at 7:00 a.m.
Camp Smith Grueler 5k
5K Partial-Trail Run | Bordelon Field, Camp Smith Aiea
Saturday, 22nd July 2017 at 7:00 a.m.
Red Carpet Fun Run
5K non-timed Run/Walk | Saratoga Avenue & Hornet Street (Barbers Point)
Saturday, July 22nd 2017 at 8:00 a.m.
Mango Days 5K
5K Run/Walk | Ala Moana Beach Park
Sunday, July 30th 2017 at 6:30 a.m.
Pearl Harbor 5K & 10K
5K or 10K Run | Lehua Elementary School
Saturday, 4th February 2017 at 6:45 a.m.
Jersey Fun Run
Fun Run | Aloha Stadium
Saturday, 4th February 2017 at 9:00 a.m.
3.5 Mud Run | MCBH Kaneohe
Saturday, 11th February 2017 at 7:00 a.m.
Glow Bash 5K
5K Scavanger Hunt | Ala Moana Beach Park
Saturday, 11th February 2017 at 7:30 a.m.
1K Swim & 5K Run | Ala Moana Beach Park
Sunday, 12th February 2017 at 7:30 a.m.
Keiki Great Aloha Run
1.5 Mile Keiki Fun Run | Neal Blaisdell Center
Saturday, 18th February 2017 at tba
Great Aloha Run
8.15 Mile Run | Aloha Tower to Aloha Satdium
Monday, 20th February 2017 at 7:00 a.m.
Running is a simple recreational endeavor needing very little gear to get started. All you need are shorts, shirt, shoes, socks and you’re good to go! Well, I wish it were that easy for me. As I’ve grown older, my list of gear needed, to get out the door, has increased dramatically in both quantity and cost.
At the beginning of my running career, I used gear already in my possession:
Basketball shorts, a cotton t-shirt (cotton? really?), tube socks, and athletic shoes (trail shoes I later discovered). I used the stopwatch, on my Timex watch, and measured my runs by time unless I was running laps around a track. I was able to map some of my neighborhood routes, online, using GPS maps.
Fast forward 10 or 12 years, to the present, and many things have changed. You can now spend quite a bit of money on shorts ($30), shirts ($40), shoes ($100+), hats ($25), socks ($15 a pair), Fitbit watch ($200) and the list goes on. I am a cheapskate and do shop at Ross Dress for Less and Marshalls Department Store.
My checklist for running:
- Running shorts
- Technical shirt
- Knee sleeve
- Fanny pack
- House keys
- Glasses (yes, I forgot my dang glasses once)
- Ear buds
- Phone (music/playlists)
- Socks (no show)
- Inserts (arch support)
- Fitness/GPS watch
- Sweat rag (if I plan on stopping at the store or post office)
- Plastic zip-lock if it is raining (phone protection)
Some no-no’s, I committed, when missing some checks on the list:
- I accidentally wore boxers, ONCE, and not only was it uncomfortable but irritating to the “crotch” area.
- Forgetting my hat, means sweat running down my scalp & forehead, then into my eyes (yes, I am a MEGA sweater!).
- I forgot my house keys and had to call my wife at 5:00 AM to let me back into the house (she was NOT happy).
- When I forget my knee sleeve, I can almost psych myself into feeling knee pain.
- Having my fanny pack too loose with cause it to bounce up and down (annoying to the point where I have to stop and fix).
- Having a hole in the bottom of my sock will cause me to focus on that hole for the entire run.
List, lists, lists – worlds fastest runners! Alright, alright! I can’t leave the women out. Florence Griffith-Joyner rocks! I pray that she’s winning races in the heavens 😀
| ||Time||Athlete||Country||Race Location||Date
|4||10:64||Carmelita Jeter||USA||Shanghai ||20.09.2009
|7||10:70||Shelly-Ann Fraser-Pryce ||Jamaica||Kingston||29.06.2012